More changes coming to the iPhone branch of PhoneGap

Last Thursday I went down to Nitobi after work for a couple of beer and a chat about PhoneGap before I had to go give a couple lightning talks at the Perl Mongers group. My hour chat with a couple of the Nitobi crew turned into over 2 hours, making me late for, but I think the effort was worth it. First off, they have good taste in beer. Second, I had an opportunity to do a little show-and-tell of my PhoneGap branch on Github. Not only did they like my changes, but I told them what my roadmap of features for PhoneGap includes, and I think they’re on board.

So to that end, I’ve started with the changes I said I’d work on. I cleaned up the console / debug logging code I recently developed, to allow for the main meat of what I’m working on: A flexible API for dynamically creating native UI widgets such as toolbars and tabbars. But before I can do that, I wanted to refactor the calling method that PhoneGap uses.

In order to make PhoneGap commands stateful, and to be able to pass a richer set of instructions to those commands, I’m refactoring the call API to look like so:


The first command to a given class will construct it, passing the reference to our UIWebView to it as a constructor argument. All command classes now inherit from a new class called PhoneGapCommand, which stores the webview as an instance property.

So then the first, and all subsequent commands, are invoked with two parameters:

  1. (NSMutableArray*)arguments
    This is a list of arguments passed on the path component of the URI. They’re URL decoded for you, so any %-encoded characters will be expanded for you.
  2. (NSMutableDictionary*)options
    This gives you a dictionary / hash of the query string component of the URI. This is always passed, but if a command doesn’t supply a query string, the dictionary will be empty.

Calls from within JavaScript will take the first hash (object in JavaScript notation) it sees and will use that as the query string. All other arguments need to be strings / numbers, or else they’ll be dropped. This means you can pass your options hash as the first, or even the last argument in a PhoneGap.exec call.

The bulk of this code is almost done, so I’m excited to hear what people think about this. I’m just getting the existing commands working with this model before pushing back out to Git, at which point I’ll continue on and implement native UI toolbars / tabbars.

Update: I’ve updated my branch on Github with my latest changes. I think they’re great, but there are still some changes that need to be made. I got most of the API working, except for contacts. But since they weren’t working so hot to begin with, and someone else has stepped up to the plate to improve Contacts, I’ll let him merge his updates in to my new code. Next up: native UI controls!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.